Elke's E-Learning Journey

My first blog ever, originally for the LearnScope 2006 project, and which is now the sometime record of my journey into learning about and implementing an elearning strategy for my training organisation

Thursday, May 25, 2006

A New Blogger

I was working in my business for a change to day (learnscope is working on my business), and inducting a new workplace trainee.
A standard technique for some time has been to get these students to keep a diary of the new things learnt from other workers.
In the early days of a new job, this is quite a large amount of often small 5-10 minute "training sessions". Documenting this has always been a problem. We were discussing ways in which to make this recording efficient (diary, paper list with dates etc) when I threw in the suggestiion of a blog.
The student had vaguely heard of blogs but had no experience with them. The worksite manager liked the idea that it was paper free, the trainee is at a terminal most of the day anyway and it was keeping up with technology.
I was amazed - it is a conservative, well established rural business with mainly older workers and the stereotypes were working fulltime in my mind. (She later quizzed me on other ways that it could be used - by herself!).
The best part is for me - I have this blog on my RSS feed so can keep contact with this student this way even though she is a 30 minute drive out of town. And it is all documented.

1 Comments:

At 11:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so fantastic Elke!! Please include this little story in any of your reporting as it is absolute proof that your learning is having an impact 'on the ground'. Well done!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home